Thursday, February 1, 2018

On Not Going Gentle Into Retirement

I passed retirement age nearly 10 years ago, just a few short months after my book was published. In some ways, I felt like I was just getting started, though I’d already been self-employed as a teacher and writer for over 20 years.

I’d employed myself shortly after earning an M.A in English in 1988, at age 45. I had seriously considered becoming a full-time academic after that, and was even accepted into a Ph.D. program at the University of Illinois/Chicago, with a concentration in teaching college writing.

Then I had to consider the very slim possibility of getting a tenured position while nearing 50. Even less likely—as I slowly realized—was that I’d actually enjoy teaching 18 year olds how to write for the next 15, 20, or more years. I’d already been doing that as adjunct faculty and, though I loved teaching writing, I was not so crazy about teaching students who weren’t all that interested in learning.

Hence, the self-employment option.

And so in 1991, I began designing and teaching writing and journal writing workshops for adults, in both adult education and professional venues, and as a private writing coach. And while it’s not been the easiest professional road to travel, it has been, and continues to be, extremely satisfying. And so I’ve no desire or intention to stop.

And I’m not alone, of course. Many of us agers want to keep working, and not just for the income. Following are excerpts from a New York Times article featuring four professionals, ages 70 – 96, who give their reasons why:

Jack B. Weinstein, 96 year-old judge:
“I’m a better judge, in some respects, than when I was younger. I don’t remember names. But I listen more. And I’m more compassionate. I see things from more angles. If you are doing interesting work, you want to continue.”

Adolfo Calovini, 82 year-old high school teacher:
“To me, teaching is about life. This is what I do. I can’t see a time when I wouldn’t.”

Eric R. Kandel, 88 year-old neuroscientist:
“I like what I do,” he said. “Keeping engaged keeps you intellectually alive. I wouldn’t be surprised if it enhanced longevity.”

Laura Popper, 71 year-old pediatrician:
“There’s no part of me that wants to retire. If you have something you love, there’s nothing else.”

There’s more worth reading in the article, no matter where you are in your working life;


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come and explore how work, among other factors, might figure in
your own aging process:

The Purpose of Aging, Aging with Purpose:
A Journal Writing Workshop
Thursday, February 15, 2018, 6 – 8 pm
7430 N. Ridge Blvd, Chicago


For more information re: fee and registration, please contact me at madmoon55@hotmail.com or 773.981.2282.

No comments:

Post a Comment