Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Life Disrupted, Lessons Learning

Anyone who’s been around long enough knows that life is not one seamless, linear journey. Oh that it were so, but, as I heard many years ago: we make plans, God laughs.

To which I say, Amen, no matter how we may define “God.” In fact, maybe that laughing deity is just our own humbled selves as we age. We look back on a life filled with unintended, often unwanted, disruptions, our laugh more sardonic than good-humored.

These inevitable transitions usually include the sound of doors closing, sometimes slamming. And while the doors that open often bring good news, others do not. Instead, we come face-to-face with job loss; financial distress; divorce; the death of loved ones; physical and emotional challenges.

When this happens, even over the course of a long-lived life, these losses and challenges often overwhelm us; we have a hard time seeing over and through them, unable to imagine a better tomorrow. We hear that time heals all wounds, but in the midst of a particular wounding, we’re not so sure.

Like most of my fellow agers, I’ve had my share of unwanted disruptions, but, in truth, I was not prepared for them to continue accumulating.  I’d hoped that my Lessons Learned column would remain in the past tense. Alas, now I know that we are never done, that we are constantly learning lessons.

I write about one in particular in an essay recently published in Notre Dame magazine. I’d like to think it’s finally stuck. (And please note: I'd titled the essay “Living the Prayer of St. Francis, ” which reflects what I sorely needed reminding of.)



No comments:

Post a Comment