Thursday, May 3, 2018

The Lure of the Real

Who knows what will pop into my head while walking a tree-filled park, the trilling birds overhead? Apparently this poem by Walt Whitman.


When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer
By Walt Whitman

When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,

How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.

I can’t recall when I first read the poem, maybe 30-ish years ago, but what struck me was Whitman’s need to know the world, particularly the natural world, through actual experience, beyond the symbols and words used to describe it.

I call it the Lure of the Real, a phrase that came to me one spring morning several years ago. I’d been sitting in the living room reading, when I “unaccountably” got up and went to the open window, to breathe in the sight and smell of flowers in the front garden.

But it’s not just the natural world that I need to experience; it’s the sights and sounds that surround me on my daily walks through the city; on buses, trains, and at the grocery store; at the public library where I go most days to write, and at my local bar where I go to watch night games and visit with the regulars.

As I’m wandering hither and yon, observing my surroundings, I notice all those people who are not, including those on their “devices.” And I often wonder if over time, they will become “tired and sick” of staring into them, scrolling endlessly through them, seemingly held hostage to the sheer number of symbols and words displayed on them.

I ask myself: What exactly is all that the lure of?

Then I wonder: Who's doing the asking? The Luddite or the Fogey? Either way, I don't want to miss one more moment of this very real, if ever shorter, life-o-mine. 



1 comment:

  1. Love that! Who’s asking, the Luddite or the Fogey? Stealing that!

    ReplyDelete