Follow by Email

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Aging in Place: What Do You Think?

If you read enough books, articles, blogs, and studies on this new old age, you’ll eventually run across the phrase “aging in place.”

For some, it means the ability to remain in one’s home as they age; for others, myself included, the concept has a broader meaning, encompassing not only an actual home, but also a specific community. This idea of aging in place is basically how the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines it:

"the ability to live in one's own home and community safely, independently, and comfortably, regardless of age, income, or ability level." (Additionally of note, this definition doesn’t limit the “ability” to age.)

Now as I continue my travels through the boomer/beyonder years, I’ve come to be pretty darn interested in where I want to continue aging, enough so that I’m making “aging in place” the focus of my second book.

Part memoir, part guide, the book will describe my own experience and exploration of the topic, as well as make use of how my fellow agers are approaching it.

To that end, I’m forming a focus group of people willing to be interviewed about how aging in place applies to their own lives. If you’d like to be a part of this group, please email me at madmoon55@hotmail.com and I’ll send you a brief set of interview questions.

And for more information about this idea, here’s a link to an article that appeared in a 2012 issue of The Gerontologist. First, the study’s purpose:

“This study illuminates the concept of ‘aging in place’ in terms of functional, symbolic, and emotional attachments and meanings of homes, neighbourhoods, and communities. It investigates how older people understand the meaning of “aging in place,” a term widely used in aging policy and research but underexplored with older people them-selves.”

Continue reading at:


No comments:

Post a Comment