Follow by Email

Saturday, March 5, 2016

A B&B Brief: Sally Field on Aging

Dear Blog Readers:

I’m introducing a new category of my blog, A B&B Brief, which will become the second of now two weekly posts. Truth is, I cannot keep up with all the articles, essays, books, movies, and interviews that erupt almost daily on some aspect of aging in the 21st century.

And so, a second weekly post, albeit a slightly briefer one.

I must start by saying that I’m not exactly a big Sally Field's fan. Nothing against her, she’s just not on my short list of favorite female actors.

But I do like much of what she has to say in the following NPR interview about aging, and so thought it worth sharing. Here’s just one example from the interview in which Field answers the following question from the interviewer, Lourdes Garcia-Navarro:

LGN: You've talked about that transition that you go through at different stages of your life — what is this stage in your life right now about?

SF: I don't know, I'm just entering it….I think in a lot of ways it's my challenge to find what's there for me that I don't see right now. I know that I felt that in my 50s, I felt that in my 40s, that there's something there that I can't see yet and I can't see until I'm there, but I won't see if I'm not willing to let go of what I was and open up to what I will be. [emphasis mine]

The reason this stood out for me when I heard it was that just yesterday I was reading Buddhist teacher Lewis Richmond’s book, Aging as a Spiritual Practice, in which Sylvia Boorstein writes the forward. Here’s part of what she says:

“The Buddha taught that life was challenging for everyone because of the constantly changing nature of our experience….I thought about how, from one end of life to the other, we are always getting used to our new situation.”

And so here we all are, the millions of us, getting used to this new old age.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more of the Sally Field's interview, click here:




1 comment:

  1. I thought you liked her - I thought you really liked her.

    MM

    ReplyDelete